NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY FOR DANCE ARTS
South Coast Conservatory has started a chapter of the National Honor Society for Dance Arts™ (NHSDA). This is a program of the National Dance Education Organization. It is one of the most exciting benefits that NDEO offers its Institutional Members. Our Secondary Program (grades 9-12) was implemented in 2017. There are over 900 chapters in the US and over 4,000 students have been inducted last year alone.
The National Honor Society for Dance Arts is run on an institutional basis. Only students who are enrolled at South Coast Conservatory may apply for induction with our Chapter.
Establishing an NHSDA chapter at South Coast Conservatory is one very important way that we help advance the field of dance education. Celebrating the artistic merit, leadership, and academic achievements of exceptional dance students helps to create honor and prestige within our field and improve our image to those outside the field, and offers benefits for students, institutions, and the field at large.
1. To recognize outstanding artistic merit, leadership, and academic achievement in students studying dance in public and private schools in K-12 education, dance studios, cultural/community centers, performing arts organizations, and post-secondary education.
2. To foster an appreciation for dance as a true art form and one worthy of recognition and prestige.
1. Recognition of their artistic merit, academic achievement, and leadership throughout their educational experience
2. Certificates at each level of induction, opportunity to wear the gold Honor Pin and blue and white Honor Cord
3. Mentorship from Chapter Sponsor and networking with peers
4. Leadership and development opportunities within their NHSDA Chapter, as they can assist the Chapter Sponsor with Chapter administration, record keeping, fundraising, and event planning
BENEFIT FOR THE FIELD OF DANCE ARTS EDUCATION
By recognizing outstanding dance students nationwide for their artistic merit, leadership, and academic achievement and providing institutions with a way to promote their dance programs, NHSDA helps to advance the field of dance education centered in the arts.